Where to stay in Strasbourg France
Ready for wine, history, and great food? Buckle up – we’re going to Strasbourg!
Strasbourg is the capital and largest city of the Grand Est region of France, and is the official seat of the European Parliament. Being near the border of Germany, you’ll find a mix of Franco-German culture. If you’re a linguaphile, you’ll particularly love the thrill of being able to practice both your French and German during your stay.
Travelers who love exploring cities will bask in everything Strasbourg has to offer – a slew of Michelin-starred restaurants, cafes at every turn, endless shopping choices – all within a network of extensive cycling paths and convenient public transportation.
Even if you’re not a big city person, it’s worth spending a couple of days in Strasbourg. It’s a great base to explore the Bas-Rhin department of the historic region of Alsace, and you’ll find lots of green spaces within – the most notable being the Parc de l’Orangerie and the Jardin des Deux Rives.
To make your holiday as fun as possible, read on for my top recommendations on where to stay in Strasbourg.
Top tips – choosing where to stay in Strasbourg
- If you’re only staying for a night or two, stay near the Gare Centrale. This is Strasbourg’s main train station and near the city’s top sights. This is also where you’ll find most of the major rental car companies in Strasbourg, so if you’re planning to drive to the rest of Alsace, this is a good place to stay for a quick trip.
- If you want to soak up the best of the city, stay near Place Kleber or Petite France. These two areas are Strasbourg’s main tourist districts where you’ll find the best sights, restaurants, and shopping places. It’s the most convenient place in the city as you’ll be in the center of everything. If you plan to visit the Christmas market in December, this is the perfect spot.
- If you want to stay in a quieter part of the city (away from the tourist crowds), stay in the European quarter. While not as hectic as Paris, Strasbourg still gets its share of tourists, especially around December. If you prefer to stay somewhere more peaceful (and for less money!), the European quarter is the best area. It’s also great if you plan to use Strasbourg as your base to explore the surrounding countryside – traffic isn’t as hectic and you’ll find lots of parking spaces.
Strasbourg hotels and accommodations
- City center – near Gare Centrale
- City center – near Place Kleber
- City center – near Petite France
- Strasbourg’s European Quarter
- Budget options (EUR 50/night or less)
Hotels in and around Strasbourg’s historic city center
The Grand Ile (or Grand Island) is Strasbourg’s historic city center. It was classified as a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1988 and most of the city’s best sights are concentrated around the area. If you’re in the city to shop, eat, and soak in the history and architecture, this is a great place to stay.
A caveat, though – if you plan to pick up a rental car to explore the Alsatian countryside, I recommend that you get it only for days when you want to go on road trips outside Strasbourg. There’s occasional heavy traffic within the city and parking can be very difficult to find.
If you must have a car while in the city, though, you can ask your hotel to reserve a parking slot for you or you can park at the street parking slots for free from 7 PM to 9 AM the next day.
Hotels near Gare Centrale
The Gare Central is Strasbourg’s main train station, and the area around is a perfect place to stay if you’re in the city for a few days. You’ll be within walking distance of most of the city’s sights, as well as rental car and transportation facilities.
- Travelers’ Pick: Hotel Graffalgar – Bright and funky, this hotel offers visitors a glimpse into the local art scene. Each of its rooms and common areas are decorated by local artists, designed to give you a bright and comfortable stay. Twin rooms start at EUR 80.
- Mercure Strasbourg Centre – This is a bright and modern hotel perfect for jetsetters. It’s near the train station (so you can go in and out of the city in no time), but also within walking distance of Strasbourg’s charming historical center. Twin rooms start at EUR 80.
Hotels near Place Kleber
Place Kleber is a shopping haven! It’s literally surrounded by the big shopping malls like L’Aubette and Galeries Lafayette. If you plan to do some heavy shopping and don’t want to be carrying shopping bags all day, you’ll want to stay in a hotel near Place Kleber.
If you’re traveling in December, take note that Place Kleber is very near Place Broglie, the site of the Christmas market that Strasbourg is well-known for. If you want to be part of the festivities, book your hotels early.
- Travelers’ Pick: Le Moon – If you’re in France to enjoy life’s fine things, complete the experience by staying at Le Moon. It’s an absolutely fabulous place to stay, with beautiful furnishings, great amenities, and a fantastic location. Studios for two start at EUR 100 while apartments for four start at EUR 170.
- BOMA Hotel – This is the perfect base for your shopping sprees. It’s right along the commercial center and you’ll love it for its comfortable rooms and bold design. Double rooms start at EUR 90.
Hotels near Petite France
If you want to be surrounded by Strasbourg’s quaint old-town beauty, stay near La Petite France, the city’s most picturesque district.
This is a historic district where fishermen, millers, and tanners used to work. You’ll find traditional Alsatian half-timbered houses and enjoy walks along the flower-decked bridges. If you’re traveling to Strasbourg for a romantic holiday, this is your spot.
- Travelers’ Pick: Hotel and Spa Le Bouclier d’Or – Set in the beautiful La Petite France, this hotel has everything for the most relaxing stay in Strasbourg. Beautiful views, gorgeous rooms, a wine bar, a wellness center, and a buffet breakfast – you will be totally spoiled here. Double rooms start at EUR 155.
- Cour du Corbeau – Stay here for the best experience in Strasbourg. This luxurious 4-star hotel gives you the best amenities and a wonderful breakfast. It’s also right in the middle of everything. Twin rooms start at EUR 150.
- Hotel Les Haras – This hotel wonderfully complements La Petite France’s charm with its historical building, excellent food, and multilingual staff. Double rooms start at EUR 130.
Hotels in Strasbourg’s European quarter
If you want a breath of fresh air away from the tourist crowds, stay in Strasbourg’s quiet European quarter. You’ll be near the gorgeous Parc de l’Orangerie and the city center is only 30-45 minutes on foot or one bus or tram ride away.
This is also a great base for travelers who plan to explore sites around Strasbourg using a rental car. You’ll find less hectic traffic here, as well as more readily available parking spaces. The hotels listed here all offer free parking space for a hassle-free stay.
- Travelers’ Pick: La Residence de l’Orangerie – This lovely guesthouse right beside the Parc de l’Orangerie will make you feel right at home in Strasbourg. It’s the perfect place for couples looking to relax and recharge, and it’s equipped with a kitchenette and has a free parking space on site. Studios start at EUR 70.
- La Residence des deux Studios – This is another guesthouse in a quiet area where you’ll have everything you need for a great stay. Studios start at EUR 80.
Budget hotels in Strasbourg – EUR 50/night or less
Although Strasbourg can be a pretty expensive city, there are a handful of budget hotel options that are within a good location and with decent rooms and amenities. For hotels that are at EUR 50 a night or less, check these out.
- Studio Proche Gare et Petite France – This apartment has the perfect location right in the middle of Gare Central and Petite France. You’ll come home to a clean, well-furnished studio apartment at only EUR 50/night.
- Aparthotel Adagio – With a great location, amazing views, and fully-equipped studios and apartments, this is a steal at EUR 50/night for a studio apartment. Larger groups can also stay here – they have apartments for 4 starting at EUR 80/night.
- City Residence Strasbourg – Probably the best value accommodation in Strasbourg, City Residence is located a short walk from the city center. The staff is very helpful and friendly and the apartments are clean and well-equipped, perfect for a short stay. Studios start at EUR 43/night.